Sunday 7 June 2009

Its been a funny old day

Arrived at the airfield at around 08:40hrs. and set up on the South side of the runway. The weather was cloudy, but brightening up, and a light air moving from the North East. Time to fly the Ember but not long after it got airborne the wind became a bit stronger, so it was time to land and put it away. The direction settled South Easterly which meant changing the pits to the North side of the runway. That done, Picojet next, and I had a new motor arrive for it yesterday, an in runner this time, and its a bit longer and heavier than the out runner fitted previously, so I thought there may be an issue with the centre of gravity. A balance test showed it should be OK but only a flight test would prove it. I tested the speed of the out runner motor before I removed it and the result was 18,000 RPM on a 5.25" x 4.75" APC propeller. This new motor tested out at 22,000 RPM on the same prop. Imagine what it does when it "unwinds" in the air. Right, lets get it airborne, and what a difference. Its now positively ballistic, but tail heavy making it twitchy on the elevator. I glued some lead into the nose (something I hate doing) to improve centre of gravity position, and a flight test proved it was better, but more weight was required in the nose. But what I'm going to do is move the motor forward as far as it will go so hopefully, no more lead needed. Will keep you posted.

Later a Club Committee member arrived (who shall remain anonymous) and insisted, despite the wind direction, that I change to the South side as it is the Club rules (its not, I double checked),and he refused to fly from the North side. So this means taking off and landing down/cross wind. Anything for a quiet life, so I moved all my gear back to the South side. Paul M and Jim E arrived later and they both asked "Shouldn't we be over the other side?". I had one flight from this side but landing was a bit awkward as the pits were in danger of being in the way, so I didn't fly again until he'd gone and then we all moved to the North side. One for the AGM in December me thinks.




Jims OS Gemini 240 powered Firecracker

I haven't seen this aircraft fly for years, in fact I can't remember the last time I saw it fly, and I still haven't seen it fly. Jim put it together, fuelled it up pumped up the retracts, and prepared to fly and it started to rain. We had enough to seriously wet the aircraft, but barely enough to dampen the dust on the runway. So Jim defuelled and dismantled and packed it up into his car. then the Sun came out and it turned out nice again. Sh!t happens.

Also in the picture is Pauls Ducted Fan F15 Eagle and Fournier powered glider.

No comments: