Monday 22 March 2010

Disaster!

I tried to fire up the KT120fsT today, and with very poor results. I managed to get it firing on one cylinder and occasionally it attempted two, but that is as far as things went. It all ended in tears when suddenly things came to an abrupt halt. I couldn't turn the crankshaft through a full 360, there was a stop preventing it going any further. Time to pack it all in and have some tea.

Broken crank pin

After tea I began dismantling the engine and it wasn't long before I discovered the crank pin on the central web had severed. I've also noticed the other pin in the web is loose. I must have done a poor soldering job there. Nothing else in the engine is damaged although the bearing in the gear box housing is a bit lumpy. I think I will change it.

A sorry sight

No comments: