Saturday 20 February 2010

Progress, but with Major Modifications

Today I discovered that the valve and rocker assemblies were not going to fit together with the correct geometry. I had to remove 5.5mm from the length of the valve guide as I'd designed the posts on the cylinder heads for the rocker shafts too short. This also means the valves need to be shortened to 22mm from 25mm leaving just enough room for the spring to almost fully compress. Bottom line is, it looks like I've recovered from the disaster I thought it was and saved some weight in the bargain. Phew!

Exhaust Valve, Retaining Seat and Collet Set
Click on the picture to enlarge the image

To give you an idea of the size, the valve stem is 2.5mm diameter and the overall length is 22mm.
New parts made today include four valve spring retaining seats and two pairs of collets, two more to make.

No comments: