Sunday 5 April 2009

What a day!

Sunny at home, but as I got closer to the Somerset levels the fog was getting thicker, and at WZ it was too thick to fly in. I unloaded the car and parked up and as I was assembling the aircraft the fog was burnt off leaving bright sunshine which lasted all day. Winds were very light and variable to start with but increased later with a Southerly direction.
I'm beginning to enjoy flying the Yak as my confidence in the radio is being restored. I tried some knife edge flying today and discovered the aircraft does it very well, unlike me, and the new canopy stayed intact too, another bonus.
Flew both the trainers, and a former club member visited, haven't seen Martyn for 10 years and he hasn't flown for that time either, so he had to have a go, and he did very well. I didn't have to prise the transmitter from him once. Mind you, when it ran out of fuel he couldn't thrust it back to me fast enough.
Jim flew his Hotspot jet, always impressive, see the video, and he'd been flying an electric "jet" with a rear mounted motor which propels this thing along really fast. the motor turns at 45,000rpm and sounds like a Formula One style V10 engine. Unfortunately something went "pop" and all power was lost. Turns out the motor shaft snapped clean off, losing the prop.

No comments: