Monday 24 November 2008

And yet more engineering

It looks like this is going to be the norm for at least the rest of this month and probably well into December as the weather situation is leaving a lot to be desired. Even the long range forecast doesn't look promising. Anyway it gives me a chance to get on with the Winter project. I'm hoping to have this engine fitted, working and flying early next year. No pix today, (sorry) but I've started on the rear part of the crankshaft. After I'd nearly finished it, it didn't look right so I had to do some cross referencing with the other drawings, and indeed I found an error. Having now corrected the error I can proceed with the part. Luckily nothing was spoiled. The other thing is I've ordered all the bearings for the engine. Six in all, but one size was not available in britain (would you believe it?) so I had to get it from Hong Kong of all places. Then I had to buy ten and I only needed three. Hey ho!
Soon I'll order the cross helical gears for the gearbox. These come in mild steel and will need to be case hardened. The supplier could do that for me but the extra cost makes it more than prohibitive, so I'll do that myself. It was successful on the KT54fs I made earlier, so it should be OK for the KT120fst too.
More on Sunday 30th all being well.

No comments: