Monday 22 September 2008

Sunday 21st September. A bad omen?



Arrived at the airfield at around 10:45, opened the tailgate of my car and my bottle of fizzy pop fell out onto the tarmac and squirted some of its contents everywhere. Was this a sign of things to come? Anyway, got unloaded and took the car to the car park, and walked back to the pits and began assembling the aircraft. First up was the yellow Sunbeam after tuning the engine carburettor after its ultrasonic clean. Once tuned it seemed to be a bit more settled, but was still a bit below par on power. I would have expected 12,500 rpm on a 12 x 7 prop out of this Super Tigre 40, but it was struggling to get 11,000. The flight turned out OK though. The Sunbeam in the picture above has a new wing equipped with slots and flaperons, untested at this time.


Next up, the Pico Jet. I am amazed at the power of this little toy, and the flight length is incredibly long with the 2200mah li-po battery. This is where I discovered I had a problem with the new charger not charging correctly. I seemed to charge cells 2 and 3 OK but didn't charge cell 1 at all. This was confirmed when I tested the battery with a digital multi meter, in fact I found also that cells 2 and 3 were not fully charged. I've emailed the vendor.


Then I thought I'd chance the Yak54. First flight was fine, no problems, but on the second flight the canopy and cockpit decided to part company from the fuselage and ended up like a busted bag of flour on the tarmac. Highly annoying as it was a new one I'd just purchased recently, to replace the one which the same thing happened to in Cornwall back in August. Managed to land the aircraft safely, though. That bottle of pop was trying to tell me something after all!

No comments: