Monday 15 September 2008

CAP 21 Crash!



Sunday 31st August.
Flying at Westonzoyland as usual, and had a bit of an accident with the CAP 21. The intention was to half roll to inverted, then half loop, but it got as far as the half roll, and kept on rolling, throttle wide open, vertically into the bean field. Oh! sh!t. Walked over to the spot and with the aid of a pair of walkie talkies and a fellow club member who spotted the point of impact. I walked straight to it, and sure enough it was in bits. I had to dig the engine out of the ground, and after further examination, I discovered it was fine, not a mark on it. Its rare you find anything wrong which could indicate a fault in these cases and this was no exception. The radio was working perfectly. I sent off all the radio gear to Horizon and they very quickly found a fault in the transmitter. The RF output was low, so they changed the RF board. Now I find I have 60+ paces of range compared with 32 previously. But I'm not going to take any chances, so I'll only fly aircraft I can afford to lose for the time being.

No comments: