Saturday 22 August 2009

A drawing error - oops! conrods

Its about time I blogged some engineering, so I've done the following:-
Some how I cocked up. Its not the first time, nor will it be the last. Getting down to it, I designed, drew and made the conrods too short. The piston was unable to pass bottom dead centre. Oh! dear, how sad, never mind. But now I have two new conrods of the correct (longer) length. This also means I'll have to remove some more metal from inside the cylinder heads to maintain the correct compression ratio.



Ahh! Bottom dead centre



Conrods increased in length by 0.5mm
I went flying today, and it was a sad day. I lost an old friend. Yes the red Sunbeam met its match or rather terra firma. It was pilot error, I heaved in too much elevator and the wings folded and it went down into the bean field. Engine and radio are OK but the airframe has had it. At least I know it was my own fault.

No comments: